About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Taking Care of Self When Ill

I'm not feeling inspired today.  I have a migraine/headache that is causing my body to be slow.  This includes my mind.  My eyes want to shut and I just want to sleep for a long time.

Taking care of myself physically, especially when I'm not feeling well, is important.  My self-care includes laying on the couch watching my favorite movies or tv dvd's, staying in my pajamas, making sure it's cool in the house (not too hot or too cold), eating every few hours and drinking lots of water.  Even if I can't feel it I know my body appreciates this level of care.

I get to watch my kitties.  Sometimes they are snuggled up in the basket or in a box.  Sometimes they snuggle up in the sunshine by an open window.  Sometimes they sleep on me or jump up to get some lovin'.

The best decision I made today was to stay home from therapy.  I don't trust myself to be able to drive the half hour it takes to get to and fro.  I also feel like I might have a fever so I don't want to expose my therapist to anything that might be contagious.

I did accomplish some housework and book work.  I gave due dates to different chapters/sections in my book.  So far I plan to have the first draft written by the end of December.

Thank you, God, for being a father I can depend on.