About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, September 01, 2013

Using Affirmation Cards

Yesterday I mentioned one of my distraction tools to not self-injure is reading the affirmation cards I've written.  I learned this from Alexian Brothers SIRS/ED inpatient unit.  They work because they are tailored to what I need to hear - ones I thought of and ones I asked others to write. Here's some of them so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.
  • Logic In My Pocket.  This is an index card that addresses a specific vice and what to do when it happens.  For example, "Self-Injury:  I am responsible for myself.  When a situation occurs and my emotions start to rise, don't shut down.  Validate my emotions.  Don't let my thoughts take over.  You are willing and able to keep yourself safe.  Feelings last for one snap of the fingers.  Change your thoughts - the feelings will pass.  Stay aware of your surroundings.  Snap a rubber band.  Take a cold shower."  I have one for binging, depression, suicidal ideation, comforting and supportive phrases.
  • While I was in treatment, some people wrote one for me.  "You are amazing, You have such a positive outlook, You truly believe in yourself, You need to completely eliminate harming yourself as an option, You should let people who care in more, Don't ever get down on yourself, You are a beautiful person, You work so hard towards your goals - just keep putting a hundred and ten percent into it, You're awesome - like a very positive friend, never really negative, What is awesome about Amy?  She is wise, confident, driven, strong and a survivor, YOU GOT THIS!, You have a secure treatment plan, You are motivated, You will beat this, You are insightful, You are a natural student of self and strive for a recovered life...keep up this motivation.  Remember, a ship in harbor is safe, but that is not why ships are built."
  • Here are some random ones:  "Keep focused on my own treatment, I'm safe when someone else is angry, Don't base your wellness on how your body is feeling, Be kind and gentle to myself, I am a survivor who experienced ups and downs, Emotionally distance myself from thoughts, I can't control someone's reaction, Trauma related work is very slow, Push through the difficulties, Embrace my intelligence, Time with my family fills me, Food=Fuel, Trust your gut, I'm valuable and worth the investment of time and money in my recovery, Sit in the uncomfortable feelings, These scary emotions are part of the beautiful me, Let go of the critical parent - It's the voice of your dad who hurt you badly, and this one is the one that speaks to me most:  Suicide tells God I don't trust Him.
There you have it!  I encourage you to make a stack for yourself.  They decrease my stress level which also decreases urges, all urges.