About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Battle Inside - The Solution

Yesterday I shared some of the battles I fight internally.  Now I'm going to talk about the solutions I've found to be successful.  Here we go:

  • Staying sober to embrace emotional pain
    • I've been sober for over four years
    • I stay away from alcohol environments 
  • Not buying or eating comfort foods to feel feelings
    • Feeling panic and/or anxiety
    • Feeling scared and/or terrified
    • Feeling sad and/or depressed
    • Feeling angry and/or rage
    • Feeling nervous and/or lonely
  • Resisting self-injury to feel uncomfortable feelings
    • Haven't self-injured since Aug 2, 2013 
    • To feel pain in a safe way, maybe with others
    • To tell people how much I hurt
    • To heal from past abuse where others hurt me
  • Debunking suicidal ideation to tell myself the truth
    • Not planning a rendezvous with God because I'd be missed
    • Seeing myself as a worthwhile child of God 
    • Not taking a temporary problem and turning it into a permanent solution
    • God said, "It's not time for you to come home yet."
This is what works for me.  Perhaps doing an exercise like this will help you when the battle is getting the best of you.  Believe me, it's a recurring event!!