About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, September 16, 2013

Part 2 of 2 - God's Presence

What I thought was hopeless, God saw as opportunity.  I was convinced my home was never going to be safe, fun or peaceful.  I was living in a repeated trauma zone.  There was caution tape all around it.  But the evil did not heed to that tape.

The first time I felt God's presence in my home was when I started Alateen at age 14.  I was no longer fixed on the alcoholic.  I was keeping my eyes fixed on recovery.  I was working hard and it was paying off.

Looking back I can see God's presence in the most painful parts of my life.  The cool thing is that I didn't invite God into those areas.  I didn't know Him yet.  He took it upon Himself to show up.  Nobody ever did that in my life.  He showed up with a purpose, just for me.  He was starting the healing process.  A process I continue to be relentlessly choosing.

God's presence, as far as I can tell in my own life, has never abandoned me.  Sure, I've gotten angry at Him and ignored Him and even refused to listen for Him.  The other cool thing is He understands how I feel, what I'm going through, how some parts of the healing process tear me up inside.  He understands because He's always been there.  Sometimes I think to myself, "That's just crazy."  Yeah - that's what's mind blowing about a loving God.

Whether or not I'm struggling with trauma, mental illness, destructive thoughts or flashbacks, I know my God, my Abba Father, is with me.  I can take His hand and allow Him to lead me down the next path of recovery.  I can take His hand when I'm scared and need to be reminded that I'm not alone.  I can take His hand and put His arm around my shoulders for comfort.

God's presence is always available.  Sometimes I have to ask, "Am I willing to let down my guard so He can reside in all of me?"  Today, the answer is YES.