About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Communing with God

In my relationship with God, this day (Sunday) is a day of rest and communing with Him.  I'm still feeling down, over tired and depressed.  The "rest" part of today will be easy.  "Communing" will be more difficult.

I usually spend time with God outdoors.  I have a favorite forest preserve complete with very large trees, a walking path, a marina and plenty of chipmunks.  It's a short drive from my house.  But right now I don't have enough gas in my car and my checking account is at zero.

How am I going to commune with God?  I'm not sure.  I have a bible study that reads to me.  I have a couple of blogs I can write in.  I can ask my sister for a little bit of gas money so I can go to her house and relax there.

Maybe I'll just sit here and think about Him and all the wonderful things He's done for me.  Maybe I can write a thankful list of 25 things.  I could listen to the sermons I'm behind on.

Whatever I decide to do, it will please God.  Even writing about it pleases Him.  Spending time thinking good thoughts about Him is sometimes the best and only way I can tell Him how much I love Him.

And that's okay.