About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Depression Is Like A Car

Depression is like a car.  It has a motor that needs to be properly maintained.  The exterior shell protects you from damaging elements.  The windows let you look out when you feel trapped or let others look in so they can help you.  There's only one driver.  There's only one ignition.

When depression stays longer than usual, for too many reasons to mention, I picture myself in my Depression-Mobile.  It's a special car of my mind that navigates through the tough days. 

Most of the time it drives way below the speed limit.  The fuel tank is on empty.  The driver is impaired.  Sort of dangerous, right?  I spend those days on the couch.

I tend to the motor.  Check the oil.  Check the windshield washer.  Check the antifreeze.  It's like checking the pill box to make sure I've taken my meds.

Those who can look in and help are my family, five friends, therapist and psychiatrist.

When I look out I'm looking for God in creation.  Fall leaves, birds chirping, squirrels running and clouds moving.

My radio is tuned to Heaven.  The tires have treads that grip.  There are some nicks and dents to the body of the car but nothing serious.  The bumper stickers are filled with personal statements, like this one I made in memory of my nephew Aaron:

 
Whatever car or type of depression you have, it's unique to you.  When your car (brain) isn't running right, get help immediately.  Putting off help can lead you down the road of hopelessness that can lead to destructive thoughts. 
 
You're worth more!  Take your brain to your mechanic - your psychiatrist.
 
If you're frustrated because medication don't seem to be working, keep reporting that to your psychiatrist.  Sometimes it takes awhile to find something that works.  Don't give up!