About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pet Peeve

I have several pet peeves but one of them I'll share with you.

Swearing.

I know I've sworn on this blog from time to time but I certainly don't make a habit of it.  The same can be said when I am writing e-mail, tweeting, talking in therapy sessions or to family or friends.

I don't like swearing.  I especially don't like some of the very popular text acronyms for swearing.  Why?  Even though the person is not typing out the swear words, I am reading the acronyms using the swear words.

I don't think people realize how often these are being used.  They've become as commonplace as any other word.  The problem is this:  I don't know what the writer is trying to say.

If someone I was having a conversation with said, "W-T-F," I would have no clue what they meant.  Seriously.  Do you speak using letters or words?

If someone said, "L-M-A-O," I would see them doing this so they wouldn't have to say the letters to me.  Using the letters by themselves would be confusing.

When I swear I am usually so angry I can't think of any other word to communicate how deeply I feel the anger.  I don't swear when I'm happy nor do I swear just to swear.  It's always anger, rage or total frustration.

Swearing, in my opinion, tells me the person does not yet know the proper vocabulary for expressing emotions.  Sometimes it's up to us to seek out that vocabulary.  I've had to retrain my swearing.  I've had to think about what I'm really feeling and try to match it to an emotion instead of a swear word.

I'm by no means judging anyone or claiming to be perfect, believe me.  By having an emotions list, I'm better able to express myself so I can have resolution to my problems in a mature manner.  One that honors God.

There are many emotion lists on the internet.  I chose not to post one because they vary in type of content.  If you type "Emotion Words" in the search, you'll have plenty to look at.

Think about it.  What is swearing covering up for you?