About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, January 27, 2014

Psalm 147:3

Sometimes I think my heart is never going to completely heal from all it has suffered.  The physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, verbal abuse, neglect, abandonment, withdrawal from people, adults I trusted abruptly walking out of my life and the list goes on.

I know in my intellect that when I gave my heart to Christ I gave him permission to heal it, change it and reside in it.  I guess I was hoping there would be ultimate healing.

In many ways, God and Jesus have healed a lot of the brokenness.  I'm no longer being abused, I have control over who I let into my life and for how long, I'm learning how to keep myself safe and I have just a smidge of self-blame remaining for what happened to me at the hands of an addict.

My wounds are being bound up in all sorts of ways.
I picture gauze bandages being wrapped around my head as my mind heals.
Maybe there's a big flat frozen pack resting on my chest to heal the burns of lies.
God placed a metal cage around my private areas so no one can get in.
I wear a flannel shirt that smells like my Dad and I'm okay with that.
I wear jeans and gym shoes.

I look normal on the outside.

That's how it always was.

The brokenness was covered up, never talked about, hidden beneath clothing.
The brokenness happened at night, in the anger, in the storm of alcoholism.
The brokenness became my cross to carry.
To protect my sisters and my Mom.
Sometimes I would get in between Mom and Dad.
Sometimes I would pick a fight with Dad just to get it over with.
In either case, I protected my family.

How old was I?  10-14
I knew I could take it.
He didn't scare me anymore.

I'd grown cold to his threats,  his eye to eye staring, him shoving me against the wall by my neck.
I had ice in my veins and knew one day I would punch him so hard he'd be knocked out cold on the floor.  I had thoughts of killing him.  Even though he's been dead for six years, when I think about stuff like this, I still want to kill him.

God's had a lot of wounds to bind up.
I'm glad He hasn't stopped yet.
I have a feeling I won't be completely healed
until I'm in heaven.

Today, I'm okay with that.