About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Trains


There's nothing like riding a train.

I can drive twenty minutes to a neighboring city, park in a less congested parking lot, put four quarters into my parking box slot then walk up to the platform and wait.

Sometimes I get a cup of coffee and a newspaper. Other times I just plan on staring out the window as we make our way to downtown Chicago.  Either way, I'm going to enjoy the ride.

One of the things to do on my bucket list for 2014 is to ride the train for no reason.  Just show up at any station, any time of the day and spend a little money on myself for a little adventure.

Nothing dangerous, mind you.  Spontaneous.  That's when some of my best "God" encounters happen.

I've had encounters in the mountains of Colorado and near a river at a forest preserve.  On walking paths in Wisconsin and on my knees beside my bed.  In rice fields in Japan and in a hotel room in the Dominican Republic.  On the forest roads in Arizona and at the Hot Air Balloon Festival in New Mexico.

God shows up wherever we invite Him in.  He is not deterred by our physical location as much as He is by our spiritual willingness to let Him in.

He will knock; He will not bust down the door.
He will show you who He is; He will not tease you by withholding His identity.
He will give you what you ask;  He will not give what hurts you.

I think Jesus would have liked train rides.

The rumbling of a train, stopping to pick up riders who are traveling in the same direction.

Jesus would've told us about our final destination and invited us to join Him.