About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, May 16, 2014

God Is...

This morning, the Chicago area woke up to snow falling.  This is when I remember who is in control of all that happens on the planet.  It has to be God.  No little spec of bacteria could ever produce snow, rain, flowers, fruits, animals, peoples, natural gases, oxygen, electricity, water and so on.

God is the Creator of all things in the past, all things in the present and all things yet to come.  (see Genesis 1 - 2:22)

As the Creator of all things with breath, he created them for a specific purpose.  Jesus told us this purpose in Matthew 22:36-40  “Sir, which is the most important command in the laws of Moses?” Jesus replied, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. The second most important is similar: ‘Love your neighbor as much as you love yourself.’ 

Beyond those commands, we are here as an extension of God's service to His people in the church and outside the church.  Below you will find how we are linked to God in this calling of servitude.

In 1 Cor 12:1-11, Paul wrote about what the Holy Spirit gives to us.  Here's an excerpt from verses 4-7:  "Now God gives us many kinds of special abilities, but it is the same Holy Spirit who is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service to God, but it is the same Lord we are serving. There are many ways in which God works in our lives, but it is the same God who does the work in and through all of us who are his. The Holy Spirit displays God’s power through each of us as a means of helping the entire church."

Even if we feel we've fallen into a pit of despair and depression....
Even if we feel utterly useless because of our disability or mental illness.....
Even if we feel dirty and ugly because we were a victim of one or more abuses.....
Even if we feel guilty for the pain we caused in the lives of loved ones.....
Even if we feel sad for not being able to have the one thing or person we'd love.....
God's message stays the same.

A message from God (This happens once in awhile):
I created you.
I sent my one and only Son for you.
He taught what I wanted you to know about Me.
He laughed so you could see I laugh, too.
He had a job so you could see I work, too.
He cared for his mother so you could see I care for yours, too.
He taught My scriptures so you'd find peace in troubled times.
I asked Him to die an excruciating death for your sin.
When he asked me to take away that cup, 
He said, "Your will be done."  He died for me.
He died for you.
Beyond His death are new days.
When you ask my Son, Jesus, into your heart and to forgive your sin, all that was stained red becomes washed away and is now white as snow.  As far as the east is from the west, your sin will be no more.
A party has broken out in Heaven which is where you will be for eternity.

The choice is up to you.

Are you ready to lay all your burdens and all your sin down?
Are you ready to let me help you heal - REALLY heal?
If you are, let me in.
Trust me.
It's the best decision you'll ever make.

Love God