About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, May 12, 2014

Praise You In This Storm

I think I used this song recently.  I love it so much.  It's my promise to God that I will do my best to stay with Him no matter how hard the storms are that pass through His hands.  That I will praise Him no matter how challenging the healing process will be.

We had a torrential downpour yesterday.  It was the first of the spring season.  It was so loud and the rain was heavy and blinding.  I was safe in my home.

Two of my female cats were outside minutes before it started.  I was calling for them but they weren't coming.  I walked onto my patio and called for them again.  I looked under my bushes and found one of them chilling out.  She was tucked in pretty good so I knew she'd have to come out on her own.  The other one came flying out of nowhere as if to say, "Hey, Mom!  What's up?  Can you scratch my belly?"  I picked her up then the other one followed us in.

It was less than a few minutes when the downpour hit.  Being in a metal mobile home amplifies rain, hail, wind and flying debris.  Thankfully my girls were safe inside and all we had was rain.

The storm reminded me of how powerless I am in some of life's events.  Like the weather, some things happen with little to no notice.  That means I need to prepare (best I can) ahead of time so that the stress won't be too high.

For example, I bought enough pet carriers so I can get them out of the house safely.  I have candles that burn a long time in case of a power outage.  I have gallons of water, flashlights and a battery powered radio so I can hear what's going on.  Simple things like that decrease my stress and help me feel prepared for something that's probably never going to happen -- but might.

I believe God wants me to praise Him in the storm.
I believe God wants me to plan for the storm.
I believe God wants me to be prepared for the storm.
I believe God wants me to pray throughout the storm.

God wants us to be smart.
To listen to His Holy Spirit guiding us.
And yes, to be praising Him for all He's going to do for us in the storm.