About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Healthy Helping

I was scrubbing part of my kitchen floor.  From time to time I'll imagine myself in front of a Women of Faith conference audience.  I'm on stage getting ready to preach a message.

The person preaching inside of me is filled with enthusiasm for what I'm about to say.  I know God has placed this topic deep inside my heart.  Only He can fill me with the kind of energy I'll need to talk in front of such a large audience.  I am an introvert, after all, so this would be a bad time for an all out freak out.

"I want to talk to you about a topic we don't talk about often enough.  It's not because we're afraid to or because we don't know how to.  It's because it's uncomfortable which is where I like to go.

I'm talking about you having a friend who calls you.  She calls you to tell you her husband is hitting her, again, and he's hurting the kids, again.  He promises not to do it anymore, again.  He's crying and apologizing, again.

What should she do?"

You're getting tired of hearing the same story, the same excuses.
Your compassion is running on a candle and the wick is about to go out.

What do you say?

Most of us, myself included, want to help people in distress.  The problem with us helping them is that often times, they need a lot more than we are capable or qualified to give them.

Some of them need emergency shelter access.  Some need police protection.  Some need long-term therapy. Some need a combination of services.

We have to admit, to ourselves and as their friend, that we don't have the answer for them.  We can help them find the right help and help get them connected to the right agency but beyond that, we need to leave it with God and the professionals.

What do you say?

I love you.
I'm praying for you.
I'm here to support you.
I can't do the work for you.
What can I do to help you?

And then....we let go and let God be God.