About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Weird Symptoms

I've been having symptoms that are a little weird.

Throughout all the medications I've been taking, I've never had the top of my head go numb.  I've also never had the numbness travel down to the bottom of my ears.  I've never had both of my hands go numb.  This was last week.

Because these symptoms are new, I took myself to the emergency room.  I was given at CT scan.  The results were clear - no swelling, no stroke, no tumor.  If it happened again I was supposed to return to the ER.

Monday is when my hands went numb for most of the day.  The numbness did not move up my arms.  It simply stayed in my hands.  The people I told automatically said carpal tunnel but I've never had any symptoms of carpal tunnel so it would be weird for it to come out of the blue and be in both hands on the same day.  It eventually went away on it's own.

Tuesday, as I was going for a long walk, the top of my head went numb again.  I didn't freak out.  I told myself there was nothing wrong with me.  The CT scan was clear.  I could go have an MRI but because of my medical history, my doctor and the ER docs were cautious about exposing me to more radiation.

I spent some time taking inventory of my life.  I talked with God about all areas to see if there's something I'm missing that's adding an element of stress I've missed.  Everything was good to go.  I can't figure it out.  Even as I type this the upper right hand side of my head is getting a little numb.

Unfortunately, Faith was out sick today so I couldn't talk to her.  I thought she could help me brainstorm some possibilities as to why this is happening.

Maybe I should just go to the ER.