About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Taking Proper Care

This week has been getting progressively slower.  I know the depression is increasing yet I keep pushing myself forward.  It's takes a lot of mental energy.  I'm finding the mornings are the best times to tackle household projects.

I can get the basics done when I give myself a challenge.  For instance, get all five cat boxes cleaned out before 9:00 and sweep the floors along with it.  Then I can take a break.  I can put stuff away where it belongs, wipe down counters, dust furniture, wash windows and other things as I move along.

My twelve step groups always taught me to stick to the basics.  Don't drink and go to meetings.  Here at home I clean out the cat boxes and sweep up the floors.  Then I can rest without anything hanging over my head.

This may seem odd to write about.  In fact it's quite the opposite.  Depression, when not managed correctly, can demonize daily routines.  It's not only about taking medication.  It's also about continuing to function even if it's at the lowest level or ability.

If I didn't have my basics to get done every day, my cats would be neglected, my house would stink and the mess would be bigger when I did get around to it.  There's no reason at all to live that way.  I love my cats.  I love them so I take proper care of them.

And by taking proper care of them, I take proper care of myself.