About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Kitten, Grieving My Cat

When the death of a pet you loved, breaks your heart in two,
There's nothing to relieve the pain, nothing you can do.

You see their eyes, their furry face, their whiskers sticking out,
Their paws with nails, your stories and tales, what life with them was about.

My little friend was named, Kitten, a perfect name for her.
She arrived very pregnant, you could tell from her fur.
She was a very smart kitty because I taught her, you see,
To open the shed door where a crate was waiting, a safe place to be.

My neighbor, as it turned out, was a volunteer at Save A Pet,
A small miracle, it had to be.
For in just a few days, my Kitten gave birth inside the shed, another
miracle, glory be.

I moved the family into my house all snugly warm in my bathroom.
Mama Kitten and her little ones stayed until the babies had a home,
Kitten decided to stay furever and ended up with one more litter.
After that there were no more kittens and no need for babysitters.

Kitten lived a full life about nine years in all.
She loved to be outside until Winter came or sometimes it was Fall.
She aged a bit this last year but it still came as a surprise.
Kitten walked out the door this week,
And hasn't walked back inside.

I have looked everywhere I know to look,
I call her name out loud.
I drive my car down busy roads,
Hoping she is found.

Alas I say to myself, "Kitten is not here."
My inner child begins to cry, another loss so dear.
My intellect knows outside cats have shortened lives for sure.
To that I respond, "You didn't know my Kitten.  She beat the odds

Dear God, I don't know where she is but I know you created her.  Please let her feel no pain if she is still alive and please take her gently into Heaven if she is in the process of coming to Heaven.  Thank you for the many years I was given to watch and care for her.  She was very loving, very patient and very cuddly with me and the kids.  Thank you for entrusting her care to me.  I will miss her so much.  Love Amy