About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, July 21, 2014

Tears Flowing

Dear Abba,

I am crying now over the loss of Kitten. It seems to take some time before emotions emerge but when they do, I allow them come pouring out.  The tears I cry for Kitten are for myself.  To not see her everyday, to not let her outside with Lizzie (another cat) nor to let her back in leaves a gap in the day that only she could fill.  Even Lizzie's behavior has changed a little bit without her friend.

Lord, the tears fall much like losing a friend.  Kitten and I met many years ago.  She had this little dimple of fur right under her nose.  It was like a birthmark.  She would stand in the water dish after eating to wash off her paws or simply soak them in cool water.  When I saw her doing this she'd look up at me as it she'd been caught.

Kitten used to sleep with me when she was younger.  As she aged she slept on a dresser under the window, underneath a chair, in the cat tree or under the kitchen sink.  I think it depended on her mood - whether or not she needed some time alone.  We were similar that way.

Kitten loved to eat grass although she rarely threw up.  She had a favorite set of bushes outside (right across from my mobile home) that she crawled into.  It was nice and cool in there, one of her hiding spots.  She enjoyed laying on the dirt under my extra large bushes, on my patio and up on my porch.  I can't tell you how many times I tried negotiating with her to come indoors but she stayed where she was everytime.

Father, you made her so special.  She was such a good mom to those kittens.  You blessed each of those kittens with good and loving homes.  She was so sweet to my nieces.  I have a picture of my nieces snuggled around Kitten and she's just laying there soaking it up.  What a great personality you gave her.

Last Wednesday, I did not know I would be letting her out, never to see her again.  When I asked her if she wanted to go outside she stared at the open door.  I could tell she was thinking about it so I waited.  After a little bit she jumped down and made her way outside.

Had I known it was going to be the last time I'd see her, I would have told her how very much I love her and thank her for all the love she brought to my heart and to the hearts of those who have been in my house.  I would have asked you, Lord, to watch over her and guide her footsteps to where she needs to go to have eternal life with you.  Then I would have kissed her on her head, given her a hug, taken off her name tag and let her go along her way.

I really miss her and I do thank you for her, Abba.

Your loving daughter,
Amy Kathleen