About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Recovering From Stress and 5 Years Sober

There are times in my life when stress is constant although not always the bad kind.  The past week or so has been filled with stress from many sources.  Handling it well is an accomplishment I am proud of.

The kind of stress I was dealing with was being worried about my mom, who's friend's son had passed away.  My sister and her family driving cross country for their first family vacation.  Doing some extra driving to serve both of my sisters.  Dog sitting for a lovely friend over the holiday weekend, knowing I'd be giving one of dogs anxiety medication because of the very loud "boom" sounds of fireworks.  Going to a friend's sporting match.  Fixing some odds and ends in my friend's house which I love to do.

It's a lot of activity in a short amount of time.  Some of it was a lot of fun.  Some presented challenges.  I was able to prevent self injury, rest as much as I could, take preventative steps to reduce the stress and give myself permission to take things slow.  Normally, I would get myself so wrapped up and worked up, I couldn't see past the trees.

Nowadays, I have a better chance of seeing past the trees when I look through them one at a time.

Recovering from stress is so important for the body and the mind.

What do you do to recover from stress?

Today is my five year anniversary of sobriety. Five years of choosing not to take a drink when things got really bad and really hard. Five years of choosing to follow God and not follow the bottle. Five years of saying "no" to the easy way out and yes to the way that will make me a stronger person. Five years of really hard living that would have made it easy to give up but instead I chose to walk the narrow path that has shaped me into a better person. Drinking for the alcoholic is easy. But alcohol never kept it's promise to bring me happiness. Sobriety isn't always easy. But sobriety kept it's promise that one day I would know happiness. I've been blessed to have many of those days. Thank you, God!