About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

The Former First Lady, Mrs. Laura Bush

Have you ever received something in the mail that makes you say to yourself, "Why on earth was this sent to me?"  I said those exact words yesterday when I received an envelope with a fancy card inside.

When I turned the envelope over I saw it was from my previous employer.  I still have memories when six years ago I had to leave because of seizures and a mental breakdown.  I've had to do a lot of healing on my own. I still have a bad taste in my mouth for two employees.  One who wrote up a list of what she thought I cheated the ministry out of (that has since been negated by my former boss) and the other who didn't like what I said about her method of leaving the ministry. I no longer see these women so it's no skin off my back.

Anyway, the envelope.  I pulled out the card.  It's navy blue with a catch phrase on the front.  Inside is a "Save the Date" along with the announcement of the former first lady, Mrs. Laura Bush, being the keynote speaker at their event.  WHAT?????

Since I had worked directly with the President of the ministry, I'm pretty sure he hand picked who was being invited.  So I asked myself, why me?

The way I left the ministry turned into a mess although I never intended it to be.  The President and I were not able to have a good amount of closure - it was abrupt and hurtful.  In fact, it wasn't until just a few months ago that he surprisingly gave me a positive mark on LinkedIn - out of nowhere.  I wondered if he had been able to forgive what I couldn't control.

I've always respected him.  Even if things got a little funky, I always felt I could talk to him.  So I have to ask myself, "Why did he pick me?"  I don't know.  Maybe it's an extension of reconciliation.  Maybe it's to show his appreciation for all the hard work I was able to do.  Maybe it's because he thought I might like to be there.

I know it's not for my riches in money but it could be for my riches in Jesus.

In any case, I'd like to go.  I don't know how much a ticket is or what the attire is but wouldn't it be nice to see and listen to someone I really respect?   Mrs. Laura Bush is one of my heroes.

She brings great joy to my heart.