About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Memory Dreams

It's another early morning.  I'm not sleeping through the night. I'm having dreams about a childhood neighbor and her baby.  It feels like there's a message in the dream because it repeats itself. Not the situation but the people.

I grew up in a small village of 200 people.  There were lots of kids my age. Our neighbors across from us moved in when I was about 10-11 years old.  They were a young couple and very nice people.

Their names were Bill and Dawn.  I don't remember what Bill did for a living but I remember Dawn worked at a dentist's office.  One day, they brought home a black lab puppy and named her Pepper.  Bill was training her to stay in the yard.  Unfortunately, kids in the neighborhood kept calling Pepper out of her yard.  I might have been one of them.

Bill and Dawn had a baby.  His name was Curtis.  I don't remember much about him.  I do remember them having to move because of my sisters friends who drove around in a loud van late at night and would wake up the baby.  After several pleas to my sisters, they ended up moving.

I've always felt bad about that situation even though it had nothing to do with me.

Dawn and Curtis are the ones I keep dreaming about.  One time I was in their living room and Curtis was crawling around.  It seemed like I was in an Alateen meeting, playing with him and having fun.  I can see the room in my memory.  It was a happy dream.

Last night's dream was different.  Bill, Dawn and Curtis (still a baby) were in their garage.  It was very clean and the cars were not in it.  I was the age I am now, dressed up very well, black on white, when I handed Dawn an envelope.  It was a check from my friend Kim to help them along.  Dawn specifically asked me not to raise money for them.  She took the envelope and said, "Well, this isn't directly from you so I guess it's okay."  I played with three month old Curtis and gave him some lovin' then went home.  Soon after, I woke up.

Dreams can be interpreted in so many ways.  My dreams are always in color and have a specific story.   Sometimes I dream about fire or tornadoes or other people.  Sometimes I am protecting myself, someone else or animals.  Then there are times I'm interacting with people from my past - setting boundaries, being loved or standing up for myself.

I think the dream about Dawn and Curtis speaks into a mother/child relationship.  I think it spoke into my mom and I.  I had to ask for some financial help from my sister and my mom.  It was hard to do but I knew they'd want me to ask.  They each gave me $30.  In the dream, the check for Dawn was $30.  Not a coincidence.

I'll always have good memories of our neighbors.  They moved into that home when our house was crazy.  I had the opportunity several years ago to talk to Dawn.  She was in my line at a grocery store I was working for.  When she saw me, she smiled and asked how I was.  After chit-chatting, I told her my sisters were now in AA and living clean sober lives.  She was very glad to hear it.

I wish I could go back to that time they were living across from us and have a do over.  I'm not sure what I would have done differently.  I think I would have taken stronger steps to prevent their move.  I was about 18-19 then and at that age, I was pretty limited in adult decisions.

God had a plan for them just like he had a plan for our family.  I thank God for Bill and Dawn's influence which was a positive one and ask God to make himself known to them so that they can have an eternal relationship with him.

One is never to young to say that prayer.