About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, August 25, 2014

Migraines



Waking up in the middle of the night with a migraine is not one of my favorite ways to start the day.  I'm used to having migraines because they've been part of my physical challenges for over three decades.  Even so, the pain they cause reminds me that I probably need to change something.

The migraines I have are caused by:

  • Nitrates (in ham, bacon, hot dogs, etc.)
  • Prolonged sunlight
  • Diminished sleep
  • Poor stress management
  • Hormone changes
  • Emotional triggers
  • Too much external stimuli
  • Strong smells like perfume, diesel fumes and tar fumes
  • Change in weather
Looking at this list, I can identify two possible causes:  Diminished sleep and change in weather.

Every migraine can be measured on a scale of 1-10.  One being the lowest pain and ten being the most painful.  Most of the time my migraines are 6-7 on the scale.  Most of the time they will go away on their own.  If they don't I have medications that will dissolve them within 20-30 minutes.

The key is to medicate the migraine as quickly as possible.  By this I mean as soon as it starts.  Since migraine is distinctly different from a common headache, migraine sufferers can prevent the pain from becoming full blown and disabling.  

Learning your body's signals is key to effective migraine management.