About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Mentoring Nephew

Today was a very busy day.  Therapy session, lunch with my nephew, brief down time so I could go see a dear friend's volleyball match, a tender visit with her afterward then home to try and rest.  I was feeling concerned for my nephew because of a choice he'd made that directly effects his asthma and his health.  I voiced my concern and expressed my hope that he would discontinue that behavior before it became an addiction.  He seemed to be listening but I'm not sure.

He's always respected what I've had to say.  In general, he's taken my advice and followed it knowing I would never lead him astray.  We talked about his finances, too.  I offered once again to teach him the benefits of using a budget and this time I think he was beginning to understand the importance of having one.

We talked about college:  Talking to a counselor, applying for financial aid, what to do about his job, flexibility to work and go to school, how do you payback loans and when - all the questions he has running around in his head.  I told him there are step by step processes you go through and your college counselor  helps you through most of it. You don't have to figure it out alone.

We talked some more about his truck.  It's a total gift from their neighbor.  He loves it!

Then I brought up the "God" topic on the way back to his house.  I had to be careful because his walk with God has taken a nose dive in the last few years.  He was a little resistant (which I expected) so I approached him very open handed with no set agenda.  I let him know I'd like to do a little Bible study with him, just 15-20 minutes each time we get together.  Nothing deep, more about some of the people in the Bible I think he can relate to.  He wasn't sure and expressed where he was with God but yeah, he was okay with it.  I told him I'd work on a couple of people and show them to him.  Then he can pick out who he'd like learn about.

While he wasn't gun ho about the idea, I was grateful he wasn't completely tuned out.  As his Godmother and as one of the closest Christians in his life who lives out her faith, I know he's watching to see how I handle situations that are complicated or frustrating.

One of the people I thought of in the Bible is Sampson.  Not sure who else but for now, it's a beginning.

Has God put a college student in your life to mentor?  If so, don't take it lightly.  These young men and women are very impressionable and many of them are called to change the world.