About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, September 19, 2014

If My Skin Could Talk

If my skin could talk, it would have quite a story to tell.
From the formation in my mother's womb to the
Present day in my living room,
My skin would have a lot to say.

It would reminisce on the early days of baby wash, lotion and coos,
Feeling the softness of the blanket and my mom holding me tight.
Her kisses on my cheek, her singing in my ear,
I would drift off to sleep with no harm and no fear.

Soon those days were over and my skin felt something else.
It was hard and abrasive, I cried each time it was dealt.
I didn't know what caused it, I didn't know how to stop it,
So I figured out how to tighten my muscles so the pain
Would wrap itself around it.

My skin talked to me by changing colors where I was hit.
Black, blue, green and yellow all those colors were it.
I hid them very well for I was taught to be a good girl,
Besides, who really cared?  I was on my own in this world.

For decades I self injured by pulling my hair out,
I punished myself for my shame.
I cut myself on my arms and torso because
I had no one else to blame.
The biting in my mouth no one else needed to know,
It was a secret I'd kept until many months ago.

My skin was broken by sexual abuse, my little body victimized.
I tell myself it isn't my fault but I still feel mummified.
Someone stole my innocence, I see his face very clear,
I know his name instinctively, I've known it for many years.

If my skin could talk, it would have a lot to say.
From a mother's love to a father's abuse the memories don't fade away.
I hope as God heals me and as I read His word,
My skin will find a place to call home and it's story will be heard.