About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, November 24, 2014

Using Word Pictures To Describe Depression

Scene from the movie, "Gettysburg."
I went to see my psychiatrist.  He's the best.  He's very upbeat, asks great questions, listens intently and makes suggestions that are up to you to decide - except medication adjustments.

With all that's been going on, I hadn't planned on how to describe the depression I've been feeling.  When he asked, "Amy, how have you been feeling lately?", I said, "Really, really heavy."  We talked about how this is the worst time of year for me.

Then I remembered one of my favorite DVD's and I gave him this word picture:

"I'm a Civil War buff.  I picture myself as a soldier in the civil war and I'm shooting other soldiers.  But then I get shot and I fall to the ground.  Then I claw at the ground trying to get to safety.  That's how I feel.  I'm clawing my way to safety."

My psychiatrist's reaction was interesting.  He told me that's when I should come into the hospital so he can make adjustments to my medications and I'll be safe.  I told him I wasn't suicidal nor did I want to self-injure.

I told him my therapist and I are tackling some sexual abuse stuff that's really deep.  He let out a big sigh and gave me a dose of encouragement and helpful advice about my eating issues.  He decided to increase one of my anti-depressants and warned me that it might cause the desire to want to eat more.  He wanted me to keep track of it with my therapist and do the hard work of getting through to the other side.  I told him I've worked through one perpetrator.  It's the other five I need to get through.

As always, I left that appointment feeling better than when I first went in.

I don't understand people who don't talk and tell the truth to their therapist and their doctors.  These people are trained to help you.  You go to them for help yet you don't tap into all the help they can give.  The professionals in my life are here because I chose them, with God's help, to be here.  If I didn't trust them they wouldn't be here.

So if you're struggling with finding the right words to tell someone how you feel, use a word picture like I did.  I find movies very helpful.  I hope you find one that works for you.