About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Christmas Tradition

This time of year has one tradition I started many years ago with my nephew and nieces.  God has always provided the money for it and we've always had a great time.  My nephew has since gotten older and ducked out of our shopping.  Now it's the girls and I and we do have our fun.

I've always been the one who wants to teach them how to manage their money.  Whether it's ten or twenty or fifty dollars I believe the principle is the same.  They come with lists of who they want to buy for and ideas of the kind of gifts they want to give.  It's my job to affirm their generous hearts and then steer them toward other (less expensive) ideas.

What I've observed through the years is God's activity in their hearts.  They'll feel disappointed that they can't get something but then they'll find something else and the excitement is back in full swing.  I've seen God provide them with pretty cool gifts at very low prices.  I often point that out to them and tell them it's a "God doing."

A "God doing" is what my Mom says when only God could have done it.  There are no coincidences, no luck or anything like that when we are believers in Jesus.  God does it all.

Tonight was our shopping night and I got to see all the little God doings.

Another miracle is the money God provides for the shopping.  I don't have a lot of extra funds but after I pay all of my bills there seems to be just enough left over to take them out.  I am truly blessed beyond what I deserve.

Christmas traditions are important to keep especially when there is a touch of loss and sadness.  This tradition helps me get out for a little bit and no focus on Aaron's absence.  This is the fourth year his name has been removed from our lists.

We will always remember him and we will always have some pain in our hearts.