About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

God, Animals and Emotions

It's been a draining day today.

It started out with happy, excited and tender emotions as I drove to therapy.  The driving route I take winds through a forest preserve.  God brought out four ginormous deer with one of them standing just twenty feet from my car staring straight at me.  I call him a smooshed up nose deer.  He was magnificent.  The one slightly behind him and to his right decided to back up a little bit.  The other two were behind some thin brush.  As he started to walk to my right I noticed some traffic coming up behind me.  I started to pull away and then the lead truck slowed down.  I believe they were blessed to see the smooshed up nose deer, too.

About five minute from the office I noticed a wolf standing up on a grass hill of a corporation.  There was no traffic behind me and none from the other direction.  That was strange for that time of morning.  As I drove slowly by the wolf I prayed for his protection.  I watched my rear view mirror and sure enough!  Four or five seconds went by and the wolf ran across all four lanes of highway unharmed and into the woods.

God speaks to me through deer and I think he's adding wolves.  His message today was:  "Everything is going to be alright."  It brought tears to my eyes.

I'd been feeling emotional before seeing the deer.  I was thinking of Aaron (my nephew who died from huffing at 18 years old in 2010).  Coupled with the recent loss of my cat tears were easy to shed.  I asked God to keep my emotions open.  By that I meant I didn't want to shut them down.

My therapy session was very teary.  I still cried each time I tried to talk about Kitten.  Her loss is quite a big one.  For some reason I'm finding it hard to talk about but at least in therapy I'm able to find the words through the tears.

I had a lot of lofty goals for the rest of the day.  But my energy level went down.  I have to give myself credit for completing the three that were most important.

Time to rest.