About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Meaning of Memorial Day

On this holy day, the day we draw nearer to our God and our Jesus, I find myself deeply moved this Memorial Day weekend.  I hold a high regard and respect for men and women in uniform.  I wanted to enlist in the Air Force after high school but my Dad asked my uncle to drive out and talk me out of it. I regret listening to him but because he was a Vietnam survivor, his word carried a lot more weight than my own ambition.  Still...I wonder what trajectory my life would have taken?

In searching for meaning of this day, not just meaning of a soldier's death, I found this video.  It's educational in nature but does not diminish the sacrifice of each life throughout history that made my freedom possible.  I hope you take the time to watch this and include your children as well.