About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Borderline Personality Disorder and Depression Unmedicated

I have two lovely friends I can depend on no matter how busy they are in life.  I communicate with these ladies through email knowing it could be a few days before they get back to me.  Both of them have seen me at different medical stages of my life.  Mental stages, too.  Neither of them have ever walked away, even if I have quietly left one of them out of fear of them leaving.  They have made their love for me known and no one can replace them.  One lives a couple blocks away.  The other in Arkansas.  Both are my prayer buddies.


Having BPD means I feel things much more intensely than people without BPD.  I interpret facial expressions, tone of voice and text, eye contact and other body movements as something I did or said wrong.  Since I'm an introvert (a quiet person who can be around groups of people for a short time), my BPD hooks up with another quiet friend or a close friend who knows how I am around people.


Nine days ago there was an error made with a prescription of mine.  Never happens but it did.  Since I've been feeling angry, alone, lied to and unsupported, I decided to send a better descriptive letter to my two friends.  It helped to talk about it even if they don't fully understand.  Here's a sample of what I said:

"I wish I had the energy to ask how you're doing but this "no med" thing is really hitting me hard.  Thank goodness I'm dog sitting.  Rascal is great.  I lost 7 pounds last month but since I haven't had my meds I fear my weight is slowly going back up again.  I'm trying to be careful but I'm doing a lot of sleeping (short naps) today and trying to eat well in between.  I even gave myself a chore to do- put a/c in my car.  Never done it before and it works.  Problem is now there is a hissing noise coming out from the front of my car and I can't find it.  Doesn't matter if the car is off or on.  Fix one thing, ​then another pops up. 



Anyway, I need help with my mood which is downcast and my anxiety.  I'm having lunch with a dear friend who is in from Indiana tomorrow.  I've already asked her not to drink alcohol. 

I just want to scream, "Why aren't I important enough to call in a prescription that only needed to be corrected and that was 9 days ago?"  Between Walmart's faxes and my phone calls (2 direct conversations and 1 message), I've been promised it would be taken care of three times and it wasn't.  That's why I'm going to my Dr's office on Monday.

I hate having (diagnosis) or whatever else they want to call it.  Even if you call it an egg, it doesn't make it any easier to deal with."

Borderline Personality Disorder unmedicated is hard enough to deal with and when it's complicated with other unmedicated mental illnesses the outcome is very difficult to manage.  So for now, I tell the suicidal thoughts to go to someone safe and fall asleep.  I tell my mind alcohol won't take away the feelings of neglect and being alone.  I coax the depression into activity that won't overwhelm me but will give me something to do that is safe.  This is called self-care.

All of it, myself and my spirit, I commit to my loving God in whose hands I am completely safe from all things harmful for He created everything and called it good.