About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, January 04, 2016

Worship Music

I've never considered myself a person of worship where singing is required.  It's not my way to connect with God, it does not draw me closer to Him.  There's nothing wrong with me.  It's just how I'm wired.

I've tried to be one of those people who get filled up singing praises to God but I don't get filled up.  But here's what I do:  I watch and read the lyrics on the screen, I take in the words and I listen to the drums.  That's how I worship.

I have a collection of Christian music from back in the day when I first became a Christian.  Some of it precedes that because my Mom would play her Christian music freely in our home.  I liked the people and groups she chose.  I liked the message even more.

Messages like:

  • There is freedom in Christ
  • Our God reigns
  • Praise Him
  • Ever Devoted
  • Unto the King Eternal
  • Many hymns taken from the scriptures and put to music.

Our worship leader at The Chapel in Lake Zurich, IL engaged us in the below songs.  I watched the lyrics, listened to the drums (I'm a bit of a drummer) and sang when I felt lead.  Not because I had to, not because those around me would notice I'm not singing but because for a few stanzas, I wanted to sing.

Here are those songs: