About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

911 Remembered

Twelve years ago I was at work sitting at my desk.  A co-worker walked in and asked, "Did you hear what's happening?"  She was flushed.  I knew something bad happened.  We hadn't heard.  She continued, "An airplane crashed into the World Trade Center.  Can you believe it?"  No, I couldn't.

We stormed our bosses office and updated him.  He had a radio we could listen to.  We listened to the news and then the second tower was struck.  He decided to close the office.  I went home to an empty house and watched the news as it unfolded.  NYC, NY - SHANKSVILLE, PA - THE PENTAGON, D.C..  Four planes in all.

I'll never forget the thumps.  People jumping out of the towers to their death.  Sadly sobering to hear them land.  Pieces of paper filled the air as did the roaring sirens of our first responders.  

Then the towers fell.  People were running, screaming, bleeding and the monstrous dust cloud.  Looked like it was swallowing up people.  They were covered in cream colored chalky dust.

And then...they were gone.  The prominent towers that stood guard over New York City were gone.  How could that be?  Twisted metal, smoke and dust.  Then, silence.  Firetrucks smashed.  Personnel gone.  No more radio noise.  Where were they?

Where were they?  All the people that were trapped in the towers?  All the people and first responders who were in the stairwells?  Certainly most of them survived but probably many were injured.

The hospitals were on standby.  Doctors, nurses, everyone waited for the ambulances to arrive.  Nobody came.  Maybe a few trickled in but not nearly the number that was expected.  Reality began to set in.

We were attacked.  We were attacked on our own soil.  President G.W. Bush was at a grade school in Florida when the first plane hit.  Admirably, he finished reading to the children then hopped aboard Air Force 1 to be briefed and kept safe.  He promised resolve.  He kept his promise.

So much happened in the days following this tragedy.  The next day, Wednesday, our church was holding a special service for those who had no one to talk to.  I was in that group of people.  I went to Target to purchase a pullover so I'd feel safe.  I still have it.  My friends and family had each other.  I was alone.  I was very grateful for that community of believers.  Nancy Beach walked us through, counseled us really.  I'm glad I went.

One of my nieces was born in July 2001.  My sister was married in November of 2001. Smiles did return.  The erieness of the sky without planes, passed.  All the new security protocals at airports was taking shape.  And my God, who is bigger and stronger than any bully, gave us victory on May 2, 2011 when Osama bin Laden was killed by a team of U.S. Navy Seals.

09/11/01.  Another day that will live in infamy.