About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Suicide, Again??

Yes, indeed.  This week is National Suicide Prevention Week.  Today is World Suicide Prevention Day.  Lots of activities for groups like TWLOHA, Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 and others.  I've been following the chatter on Twitter.  This lead to one group's YouTube group.  Then I started reading other YouTube documentaries for friends and relatives that committed suicide. 

Like any groupies, there are those who are pro and con  Those who try to elevate why not to commit suicide and those who try to encourage those struggling to do it.  A rally cry from cutters who were able to stop themselves from committing suicide and a low moan from those who were more than happy to give detailed instructions on how to succeed.  Those who know Jesus as Lord and Savior aren't always helpful.  Some are and some miss the mark.  See if you've read or heard this from Christians and others in these types of comments:

"He went to hell.  God doesn't forgive suicide."

"She didn't seek out God.  If she did, she wouldn't have done this."

"Why does everything have to be so hard?  Why me?"

"I don't get it.  Everyone gets bullied at some point.  You either survive or you don't."

"Sometimes I feel so alone.  Nobody really cares about me."

"Suicide is the one unforgiveable sin."  (I was told this)

"No one will notice if I'm gone."

"God loves you.  He'll help you through it.  All you have to do is ask."

"Here's my number.  Text me anytime.  I can really help you.  Really, I can."

Those are just some of the message I read in response to a posted suicide note.  Some responses were so vulgar.  And some were incredibly mean.  "So," you might be asking, "What's the point?"

The point is this:  Our young people are communicating their darkest fears and feelings in these comment sections.  Over and over I wished there was a phone group where teenagers (and others) can call in and TALK about what they're feeling.  As a devoted Christian, I know Jesus is the answer for the world.  I know He alone can heal all those wounds.  And I know He doesn't give up on anyone - EVER! 

I know Christians who have committed suicide.  For many reasons.  I believe suicide is some people's answer to unbearable mental illness.  When I struggled the most with depression or cutting, it was my first go to.

If you or someone you love and care about are struggling with suicide, don't minimize it.  The thoughts are real, the feelings are real and the desire to die is very real.  Reach out to someone, call the suicide lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 and get some help.  You don't have to be alone.

In my own recovery, I start with my therapist then my psychiatrist.  If it's real bad I take myself to the hospital.  I know what to do.  Instinctively.

If any Christians have a question about what the bible says about suicide, here's a viewpoint I support wholeheartedly:

What the Bible Says About Suicide