About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, September 09, 2013

Depression Coping Skills

I dislike depression as much as I dislike mosquitoes.  It strikes out of nowhere, leaves a mark when it leaves and cannot be prevented beforehand.  Not really.  There is no depression spray that acts like a deterrent.  There is no soothing balm to apply so the symptoms go away.  Depression cannot be killed with a sudden smack!

The truth about depression is that it's a silent mood changer.  It can happen at any time, at any level of severity and stay for as long as it wants.  Medications help the frequency and sometimes the severity.  Depression is a burden not easily shared.

It's not like I can snap my fingers and it leaves.  If I could, of course I would!  It's subtle, can disguise itself as some other emotion like sadness or anger turned inward.  It's tiring, like fighting to get up multiple times during the day.  I don't know what the difference is between major depressive disorder and chronic depression.  They feel the same and I've been diagnosed with both.

 Here are some things I can do when I notice I'm depressed:
  • Get out of bed.  If I stay in bed, the depression becomes too strong to fight.
  • Eat all meals.  Depression tells me to either not eat or overeat.
  • Take medications as prescribed.  When I do this, the chemical side of depression stands a good chance of being balanced.  
  • Be gentle with myself.  This includes no major decisions, doing the basics and not pushing myself to start something new.
  • Ride the waves of emotions.  Keep a journal, talk to someone or write on my blog.  Keeping it inside is not a good idea and can perpetuate the negative feelings.
  • Fake it till you make it.  I've found smiling when it's hard to smile helps a lot.  So does going out in public (library, store, etc.), taking a ride to a forest preserve or walking in my neighborhood.
  • Pray.  I often ask God to give me whatever it is I need to accomplish His plan for the day.
Depression is not easy to manage.  Neither is it impossible.  Finding the balance and how it fits you best is one of the winning tools you can master.  Thinking about depression differently leads to a little less self-pity and a little more positive outlook.