About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, September 13, 2013

Eating Disorder

Losing weight is easy.  It's not eating crappy food that's hard.

Throughout my life, food has been my best friend.  Mostly carbs, salt, sugar and chocolate.  As a child I overate because I didn't know when dinner would be.  It was usually when my dad came home from the bar, sometimes as late as 9:30 at night.  I started eating a lot before dinner to compensate.  Eventually that compensation landed me a 50 pound weight gain from 6th thru 8th grade.  It was on my gym card.

I secretly hoped the extra weight would render me unattractive.  I didn't want to be looked at in "that" way.  Honestly, I didn't want anyone to see me or know I existed.  I wanted to fade away.

My first suicide attempt coincided with the weight gain.  I stayed home from school, swallowed a bunch of Tylenol then laid down.  I woke up a few hours later.  I said to myself, "Oh well.  I guess that wasn't supposed to work."  I was in 5th or 6th grade.

Being fat does a few things for me.  If it didn't, I would be thin.  It's a good protector and intimidator.  The fat makes me feel protected and tough - like I can kick anybody's behind.  I've had confrontations where my size was beneficial because it matched my anger.

I use it as a deterrent so no one will get close to me. Even though I have the choice of who gets close, depending on my mood, I can send signals through my body language.  The extra weight helps me push people away.

I must use it as a comfort.  That's the main reason I eat so poorly.  It's not always the amount.  It's often the type of food I'm eating.  Comforting myself the last 20 years has been my primary focus.  I did lose 30 pounds as of July but then I gained 10 back.

I know working on my recovery scares me.  Being well scares me.  No longer having all the muck in my heart and head scares me.  Writing the book scares me.  But I have to do it.  God whispered it me and He knows better than I what's going to come of it.

Lesson for today:  Take it to the Lord in prayer.

 This is REALLY good: