About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, September 30, 2013

Fear


There's no need to worry so why do we?  Fear.

False  Evidence  Appearing  Real

This is especially true for trauma flashbacks.  I can't tell you how many times I still have flashbacks and they freak me out.  In the flashback I'm reliving the trauma (mostly sexual abuse).  I am small, powerless and frightened.  

One male perpetrator is much older, smells like beer and comes into my room late at night.  Another perpetrator is female.  She is older, too.  She does something I don't understand.  Another male uses me for experimentation and self gratification.  Another male looks at my body.  Another female is acting out from the abuse done to her.  The other abuse was hearing someone I loved being raped repeatedly.  I was helpless then to help and I'm helpless in the flashbacks.

This kind of fear propels me forward in healing.  Sometimes, I catch myself in the dreams and respond accordingly to each abuse done to my body.  Sometimes I can talk myself down from the angst, the body memories, the trauma.  Sometimes, I am silent, dissociating now just like I did back then.

Fear is a learned behavior.  Can I unlearn it when it comes to my horrible abusive past?

I hope so.