About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, October 05, 2013

Emotional Eating

Today I had an eating attack.  My stomach was still full from lunch but my head was screaming "FEED ME!"  I knew better so I went through my steps:

1.  Observe my stomach's fuel tank.  Is it hungry or is it satisfied?  If it's hungry, feed it using measured portions.  Mine was satisfied so onto number two.
2.  Identify what feeling/emotion is trying to escape into the food (today it was overwhelm).  Write this and steps 3-6 on a sheet of paper.
3.  Think about what is causing that feeling/emotion (today it was a dirty house).
4.  Strategize what would ease the intensity of that feeling (I made a list of what was bothering me the most).
5.  Ask yourself, in reality, what can you handle to make it better (I chose a goal of 4 chores).
6.  Spread it out throughout the day if that's possible (I got 3 done.).
7.  Write down how you feel afterward (I feel very proud of myself.  I had to talk positively to myself all the way through it).
8.  Be sure to show your therapist how you handled the feeling/emotion.
9.  Congratulate yourself with positive self-talk (Yeah!  I did it!!).
10.  Remember this helpful tip next time.

Here is an article by Mayo-Clinic about the same:  Gain Control of Emotional Eating