About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pacing Yourself



In writing about the death of my Dad six years ago, I knew some of the memories would be hard and stir up a lot of emotions.

I put together a plan that is working out very well.



  1. I have a goal to write a little bit every day.
  2. I do not write when my anxiety is too high.
  3. I write later in the day when I'm more relaxed.
  4. I give myself permission to take an anxiety pill.
  5. I write only as much as I'm able.
  6. I don't push myself to do more than I can.
  7. I don't have any noise on in the house.
  8. I take a break for petting the cats.
  9. I drink water while I'm working.
  10. I pray for God to help me remember stuff.
I'm amazed at how many details I remember.  Colors, textures, things I said, how I was notified, who I told, all the stuff that matters.

I've already had such encouraging and eye opening responses from my friends.  They are truly Godly women who empathize with the trauma and disappointments and abuse I've had to get through in this life.

Without God, I never would have made it.