About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, March 01, 2014

Grief Does Not Keep A Schedule

When you go through something as horrible as four significant deaths in twenty-six months, it's easy to identify who your true friends are.  I went through that God awful season from February 2008 through April 2010.  All the while I kept functioning, kept my head above water, never really grieved for any of them until now.

Back then my psyche was fragile.  My therapist Carol knew it but she kept prodding me to get out some of the grief.  I'd dab into it once in awhile but I didn't see what the point was.

Cathy was gone.  I'd never have another woman who understood me like she did.  Get up and move on.

My Dad sent so many mixed signals I never knew what to believe.  This signal was easy.  He was dead.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Sharing the message of Jesus with Maryla when she was up and conscious is the warmest feeling I have.  She and her roommate Barb saying, "Yes," when I asked if they believed Jesus was their forever friend and died for them brought tears to my eyes.  The next time I saw Maryla was in the hospital with a brain aneurysm.  I walked into her room alone.  I asked her if she wanted Jesus to take away her sin.  A tear fell from her eye.  I asked her if she'd like me to baptize her.  Another tear.  I baptized her.

Aaron died from huffing propane.  He was 18 years old.  When I laid hands on him to pray, I didn't feel any activity in his head.  We'd talked about Jesus the week before.  I asked him the same questions as Maryla.  Same tears.  Baptized.  I put two pins on his lapels.  I was there when the machines were turned off and Aaron passed into eternity.  Nothing eclectic.  He was gone.

After each of these deaths came helping my nieces.  They needed a lot of consoling.  I'm glad God gave me the stamina to do just that.  Late night talks over the phone, crying, deep crying, whatever they needed.

What about me?  I put myself on the back burner.  I've always done that.  I've always known I'll get around to it one of these days.

I guess the time is here.