About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Everything Will Be Okay

Some days I need to remind myself that everything is going to be okay.

My day can be filled with many little problems.  I move from one problem to the next.  I don't have time to catch my breath. 

My day can be filled with one big problem.  I try many solutions.  Maybe I find one that works.  Maybe I don't.

My day can be filled with familiar emotions from a childhood trauma.  Post traumatic stress syndrome.  I do my best to get through it.


My day can have a hard therapy session.  One where I talk about something I've never shared.  I leave feeling exposed and vulnerable.

These are just a few examples over the past couple of months.

For most women who have been abused, recovery leads us down a road that is both familiar yet scary.  We have flashbacks of the abuse, we dream about it and the abuser, we feel body sensations and often times our senses are on high alert.

I've had all of those happen plus feeling certain the abuser was in the bathroom with me when I was getting ready to step into the shower.  I actually felt him breathe on me.  

Nowadays I still have some of those triggers.  I still cry tears of sadness.  I still feel rage at what they did to me.  I still long to be put back together.

Being patient with the process, staying honest with my therapist and doing the hard work God has set before me to do will (I believe) fill in the deep cracks of my life.

My Mom once said to God, "I have all of these broken pieces I'd like to have fixed."
God said, "I intend to."

That's my heart's cry.