About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, June 05, 2014

A Wonderful Beautiful Very Good Day

Having a day that starts with an enjoyable therapy session after a night of barely a restful sleep is wonderful.  I called Faith to let her know I was bringing in my Dominican Republic photo album and taking her on a missions trip.  I was happy to hear she was looking forward to what I experienced.

Like I said, it was a good session. Afterwards I went to a thrift store and mingled.  I rearranged the VHS tapes like I often do.  I do it when they are every which way.  It's an OCD thing.  Then I mossey'd along and found a couple of things.

The weather is so nice today.  Feels like a fall day or a spring day.  Very blessed to feel well enough to enjoy it.  Came home to finish a little paperwork.  Now I'm settling down to read a book.

Some days I'm amazed at how uncomplicated life can be.  I'm so used to living in the crud.  When days like this come along they stand out and my soul sings praises to my King.

I enjoyed a long conversation with the woman I love the most on this earth - my Mom.  She'll be 71 years old on Monday.  Five days later I'll be 47.  This extraordinary woman has tolerated me through some sinful times in my messed up life.  She's loved me through some of the most trying times, too.  Today I consider her one of my greatest confidants.  We share the gift of laughter, driving adventures and loving Jesus.

My mom started my journey in recovery.  She introduced me to a loving God.  She introduced me to my church - her church.  She helped me find a personal relationship with Jesus.  She's been my biggest cheerleader as I write my book.  My Mom is my hero.

Today is a great day:  My therapist, Faith.  Guilt free shopping.  Cool summer weather.  A soul filled with praises.  A long conversation with my hero.

It doesn't get any better than this.