About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, June 06, 2014

Got Music?

Let's begin with a worship song:



Did you listen to the song?  If you did, was there a video playing in your mind as the vocalist sang the words?  Many times when I listen to a song I close my eyes and imagine the lyrics coming to life.  Not for every song but for songs like this one that have word pictures built into them.

Some of my favorite lyrics:

  • Elijah, declaring the Word of the Lord
  • Moses, righteousness being restored 
  • Prepare ye the way of the Lord
  • Ezekiel, the dry bones becoming as flesh
  • David, rebuilding the temple of praise
  • Laborers in your vineyard, declaring the Word of the Lord
  • Behold He comes, riding on the clouds
  • There's no God like Jehovah
As a preteen I was drawn to music my parents listened to.  My Mom and Dad liked country so it was Willie Nelson, The Statler Brothers, The Oak Ridge Boys and others.  My Mom liked Alabama, Willie Nelson, Helen Reddy, Abba, Connie Francis, Captain & Tennille and Anne Murray.

I started liking my own music and some of their music including Barbara Mandrell, Dolly Parton, Leif Garrett, Saturday Night Fever, The Carpenters, Def Lepperd and Journey.  These are my before Jesus music selections.

When my mom became a Christian she started purchasing music my sisters and I enjoyed listening to.  I was in my late teens and my sisters were in their middle teens.  She brought home Sandi Patty, Amy Grant, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Stryper and Michael W. Smith.  This music wasn't cheesy at all.  It was great to listen to and the "Jesus" message wasn't too pushy.

Music plays a significant part of my life for these reasons: 
  1. It helped reduce the traumatic feelings from sexual abuse.
  2. It relaxes my body when I feel tense.
  3. When I listen to worship music I feel the presence of God.
  4. I imagine myself playing the drums or a piano.
  5. I play classic rock when cleaning my house so I stay motivated.
  6. It distracts me from self-injury on my body.
  7. It busy's my mind when I want to drink.
  8. Sometimes I sing along just to hear my voice for the day.
  9. When I feel scared I play comforting music.
  10. I have certain music to listen to when I can't fall asleep.
There's so many ways to use music in our lives.  

If you haven't found a way to bring music into your life, I encourage you to find a website and listen to snippets of music you haven't heard.  Ask your family and friends if they have CD's, MP3's or whatever format is best for you that you can borrow.  

Have fun with it!!!