About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

When Your Body Changes

I was in sixth grade when I started eating two meals for dinner.  For the next three years I would gain fifty pounds.  My Dad told me if I kept growing like this I was going to be as big as he was.  I knew it wasn't a compliment.

I was introduced to twelve step groups in the spring of my freshman year.  I was being taught that what was happening in my home was not my fault.  I didn't cause it, I couldn't control it, I couldn't cure it.  I needed to focus on my own recovery - to get through each day and rebuild myself from the inside out.

My parents divorced the summer of my freshman year.  I don't remember anything about changing my eating habits.  By senior year I slimmed down quite a bit.  I think I know why.

I was working my own twelve step program.  It was hard and it was lonely.  High School presented it's own challenges. I wasn't part of the popular crowd, the drug toting crowd, the drama/music crowd or the sports crowd. I was part of the normal crowd.  Even then I didn't feel like I fit.

I had a lot of acquaintances and maybe a handful of friends.  Maybe three best friends.  I kept to myself but I wasn't a loner - you know, not creepy.  I was funny, sincere and stuff like that.  And then God brought a teacher into my life.  But that's for another time.

I believe the weight was going down because I was working my program and my self-esteem was going up.  It had no where else to go but up.  I had a sponsor (Gail R), was writing my first fourth step and dealing with some of the yuck.

I was beginning to feel safe.

And in that freedom, my body began to change.

For it, too, began to feel free to change for it was no longer needing to shelter the abuse.