About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, June 02, 2014

1995 Mission Trip to the Dominican Republic

In 1995, I was just over a year involved in a singles ministry at my church.  I was being newly mentored by a woman whose walk with God I admired.  She was mature and she made me laugh. Because of some of the baggage I carried with me, she assured me I would be safe telling her anything. She was right.

She talked to me about going on this one week trip.  There were about 15 of us who were going to meet with our church's on-site folks who would connect us with Habitat for Humanity.  We were going to do hard labor on these homes but I didn't have to do it because of my back (I'd had surgery one and a half years prior).  She asked me to manage all the finances for the trip.

I prayed about it.  I thought about being out of country for the first time.  Leaving my family.  I wasn't working.  Finding leaders for my small group and children's ministry group to replace me for that week.  I decided to stretch myself and go.

Our first job was to pour a cement roof.  The D.R. doesn't have wet cement trucks. We had to make our own on the ground.  It was grueling.  Once it was mixed on the ground it was shoveled up onto a platform then shoveled up into a wheelbarrow then rolled down a two foot wide plank to the rebar where it was tipped and smoothed out.  That was repeated until the entire pitched roof was completed.

Our group was the only one to complete three roofs in three days!!

The last work day we had three houses to work on.  We rebarred a roof, filled in a foundation and emptied a house that was filled with rocks and dirt.

We were blessed with a day at the beach with our Dominican families.  Total fun in the Caribbean.

God affirmed me through so many people.  I re-read my journal and I was stunned at the many positive comments people made about my leadership, kindness and openness to talk.  I remember at the end of the trip wanting to keep those people in my life forever.

Who'da thought?