About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Sexual Abuse and Crying

The body memory that's being relived in my bathroom suddenly has emotions tied to it.  Not only fear and embarrassment but a depth of sadness that was inducing crying as I was prepping the walls for painting.

I was tearing off the border when underneath the sticky squares I used stayed attached to the walls.  I knew they were going to need some elbow grease so I used a putty knife.  They were not as easy to remove as I hoped.  Some popped right off but most took some muscle.

Being in the bathroom with the walls bare, the shower emptied, the floor stuff removed and now the border stickies being scraped off caused a feeling of emptiness.  It was weird because in the pit of my stomach was this feeling of sadness.

And then was the sensation of crying.

And then my eyes started to tear.

What was I crying about?

I'm not sure.

Part of me felt like I was saying good-bye to the last memory of my Dad.  As if the sexual abuse memory was the last feeling I had for him.  If I search my past, I think this might be true.  I wanted to be close to my Dad but the only way to be close to him was through physical or sexual abuse.  Even when he stopped drinking there was never a way to get close to him.

He called me his pal.  We'd share a can of Mug root beer.  I'd come over to his place and we'd sit at the kitchen table and talk.  We worked at the same company for the same part-time job but different shifts and we'd chat a bit before I went home.  Sometimes we'd go fishing together.  But I never felt close to him.

There's a lot to cry over with that man.  I still haven't cried over the last three years before he died.  He stopped talking to me.  For no reason.  Or at least no reason he ever told me.  And when he did die, I wasn't mentioned in the obituary.

Can you believe that?????

I have a birth certificate with his name on it but I'm not listed in his obituary.

Too bad the perpetrator's private part doesn't leave a stamp on my private part to identify them.  All six of them would be identified and maybe then I would give myself permission to cry.