About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, November 06, 2014

Sexual Abuse and Self Protection

I wear a black veil that covers my face.
I want it to protect me from the human race.
Protect me from perpetrators who look at me with their eyes,
Who want to do harm to me regardless of my age or size.

I hear sounds from someone being hurt.
I am too small to help, all I could do was stand helpless.
I was told I was four years old when this attack happened.

I new the attacker:  It was my Dad, it just so happened.

The monsters that hurt me, including the one above,
Found their way around the veil which I hoped would protect me.

But instead of trying to use something physical on this earth,
I used my mind instead and transported myself someplace else.

It's called dissociating.
I took myself above the bed when I was being abused.
I could see myself and the perpetrator.
I hovered over the bed at a safe distance.

There was no way to protect myself from being abused.
If there was, I'd have done it.
Today I have rage inside of me which is the measurable amount of sadness.
There's a lot of sadness.

Now I use the veil to cover my tears.
I don't feel safe showing them to people.
They are mine and mine alone.
My tears.