About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Lizzie and the Bush

A deep depression has fallen over me as I feel the sadness and loss of being forced to resign.  Every thing I know about myself and all the introspection I have been doing still says, "It was a mistake."  Just like the abuse I was dealt as a child, it doesn't matter.

I took my brother to the hospital for his shoulder surgery yesterday.  I had to leave my house at 3:30 a.m. and didn't get home until about 4:30 p.m..  I was so exhausted but I was having racing thoughts.  I had to make myself do mindless chores.

I unclogged the drain holes in my sunroof so it didn't leak water into the car.  That's when Lizzie appeared.  She goes outside for a day or two then shows up ready to be pet.  She's a hunter so she seldom comes home for food.  I was sitting in my car trying to figure out something else about my sunroof when she jumped in through the sunroof and laid down on the back seat.

We both exited the car.  I decided to trim one of my huge bushes.  I was cutting back the part that prevented my shed from opening easily.  I cut it way back very nicely.  And then I saw her, again.

Lizzie was laying under the bush at the other end when I felt a need to lay on the patio and pet her.  I curled up and stayed there for a long time.  She was very snuggly and cute.  I felt safe.

Laying there brought thoughts of when I'd last felt safe.  It's been a long time.  Dealing with issues where I was volunteering was draining.  Not feeling well was draining, too.  Trying to discern friendships is draining.  Even the dreams I'm having are draining.

I'm trying to force my drain pipe to go up to God instead of down into my core.  It's a tricky job.  I hope I can succeed.

I'm tired, now.  Maybe a nap.

Or maybe another chore.

More than likely, feeling more sadness...

....and sleeping.