About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Trusting God When Feeling Hurt

I opened my mailbox this morning and there was a bright yellow envelope from a friend.  The card was cute - the check inside a wonderful surprise.  It's amazing how God works when my insides hurt.

All I want to do is isolate at home, curl up on the couch and not engage with anyone in any way.  The depression is in full swing.  Staying inside seems like the right choice.

But it's not.
At least, not today.

Today is Sunday, the day I go to church.  A warm place filled with beautiful faces where I feel safe and welcomed.  God's presence is all around me.  His word is taught the right way.  I need all of it right now so I shall go.

I might have a chance to talk to the pastor about my car needs.  We shall see.

In the meantime, God continues to bring donations and I continue to be very grateful.

I'm so tired and drained in every way imaginable.
God has a reason for everything that passes through His hands.
I don't have to understand it or like it.
My job is to trust it without understanding.
So that's what I'll do.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him and he shall make your paths straight."
Prov 3:5-6