About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, April 09, 2016

15 Minutes and My Dentist

Have you ever noticed God shows up in the darnedest of places?

Please Read This Writing First

This past week I went back to the same dentist for some filling replacements. I was now reading the book of Job and started reading in the lobby.  When they brought me back, I had some time to read before my dentist arrived.  When she did, she sat on her chair, scooted right up behind me so she could see what I was reading and asked, "Now what are you reading?"  I told her the book of Job.  She looked up and repeated the word then asked what it was about.  I told her it was about a man who God gave everything to, Satan said that's why his faith in God was so strong so God allowed Satan to take everything but not touch his body.  "Oh," she said, "We're not supposed to hold onto things too tightly."  Yes.

Remembering her repeating the word Job to herself, I asked her what she was doing and she said she didn't know how it translated.  This got me curious.  I asked her what language she reads.  She said Chinese.  Ah-ha!  That made sense.  I bet my English Bible looked foreign to her like Chinese looks to me.

She started drilling and it felt like a long process.  I was ruminating on purchasing a Chinese Bible but how do I get one in the version I want?  I stopped at a local Christian Bookstore and asked some questions.  They were very helpful and suggested some websites.

This has been an education.  I think I'm going to get her a Bible in common Chinese (I've already learned more about the Chinese dialect than I thought possible) and have her Bible personalized.  The one I'm getting is a Chinese/English Bible so she can, hopefully in the future, attend either a Chinese or English speaking church and have a bible that would work for either congregation.

You know, in China, Chinese Christians are persecuted for their beliefs.  They have house churches or underground churches and if they're caught, the could be put to death.  This woman is in America where she is free to believe and follow whatever religion or in our case, relationship, she wants to.  It's my prayer that seeing Jesus goes beyond reading my Bible to showing her His kindness and the value He places on her life.

I don't know her past or what brought her here.  All I know is she probably thinks of me as the Bible lady.  That's a good place to start because I feel God put this doctor into my life to draw her closer to Jesus.  She is a wonderful dentist.  I'm so glad my heart is hearing the whispers of God to help His lost children draw closer to Him.

God Will Make A Way