About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, June 14, 2013

Saying, "Good-bye Best Friend"

Today is my 46th birthday.  I'm spending it with my nieces.  I'm spending it with my family.  I was doing okay until I received a text message.

It was from someone who used to be my best friend.  I've only had one best friend and she was it.  We met when her husband accepted a position at my church.  She was married with seven children.  I was single with cats.  She was an extravert.  I am an introvert.  She loves coffee.  I love juice.  We both loved Jesus and we both loved the church.  And within a year, a new friendship was being formed and we both came to love each other.

Fast forward ten years.  I started having flashbacks, then seizures, then unable to work.  I was cutting, not on the right medications and severely depressed.  She didn't understand what was going on, thought I was making choices to cause all of this and was caught off guard by my suicide attempt.  I couldn't handle her expectations.  I couldn't handle the questions.  I no longer wanted to explain or defend myself.

Three years later, I backed off.  In the fourth year, my nephew Aaron died from huffing.  She sent a beautiful card.  Now, we don't speak, except for a birthday greeting.

And yet I miss her.  Not all the dynamics, not the stress of her family and not being challenged all the time.  I miss her quiet support, her warm hugs and her laughter.  

While today is my birthday, it brings with it a keen sense of reality.  She will never again be a part of my life and I will never again be a part of hers.  I have no desire to enter into another friendship with her.  I'm going to enjoy what we once had and thank God for the gift of those years.

That's the healthiest decision I can make for myself.