About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, June 09, 2013

Happy 70th Mom

One of recovery's best blessings is forgiveness.  All the crap I grew up in has left a permanent stain.  But the healing love of God and the love of a mom who made brave moves to make my sisters and I safe can never be repaid.  

When I was being abused, my mom didn't know about the sexual abuse and she couldn't stop the physical abuse.  She was incapable due to the violence my dad gave her.  It wasn't until I was fourteen that things began to change for the better.

  1. My mom started attending Al-Anon.  A 12-step group for adults affected by someones drinking.
  2. One year later she sat us down and announced she was divorcing my dad.
  3. She looked at me and said, "I'm going to be the parent now."  I replied, "Good luck.  You don't know what you're doing."  She replied, "Well, that could be true but that's my decision."
  4. My dad moved out.  He asked me to help him.  I did
  5. Three months later the divorce was final.
And so began my recovery.  That was in 1981.  I was just beginning Freshman year in high school.

As the years have passed, my mom has become my hero.  Here's what I shared with her:


I hope my mom is around for a very long time or Jesus comes back before she dies.  I know others are close to their mom, too.  But then, some are not.  I remember those days as it took decades for our relationship to heal.  A lot of it was me asking her questions about my abuse and her being humble enough to answer those questions honestly, without excuses.  

My mom...the godliest woman I know.