About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, January 24, 2014

" I am" - Remembering

This is one of those days when I need to remind myself of where I came from.

It's not because I have lost faith or given up or have self-injured or compromised my sobriety.

It's because I need to remember all the hard work I've done to get to where I am.  To encourage myself to keep trudging down this road of healing.  To not give up.

"I am LOVED"  This five letter word is what drew me toward a Higher Power when I was fourteen years old.  I started my spiritual journey in Alateen, a twelve step group for teens who are affected by someone else's drinking.  I was affected by my Dad's.  In twelve step groups I learned how to receive love from other people.  It was especially difficult to receive love from women and it still is today.  I can count on one hand the women I feel love from and trust.

"I am KNOWN"  While in twelve step groups I worked the steps.  Through my sponsors I learned about myself and about God's desire to know me.  I was a little afraid of God because, like a lot of abuse survivors, I put my Dad's face on God's face.  That took some time to change but I did it.  Then there's the fear of people.  While I don't wrestle with it as much today, back then that fear controlled some unhealthy relating patterns.  I thank God I didn't get myself into any real trouble.

"I am FEARLESS"  At one point in my recovery I had to become willing to go to any lengths to get better.  This included multiple twelve step groups (Al-Anon, AA, OA, ACOA, Coda), sexual abuse therapy groups, intense individual therapy, adding psychiatric and psychotropic medications, seeing a psychiatrist regularly and being hospitalized inpatient and outpatient several times.  Walking through the fear, I've found, is the only way to get a handle on my issues and learn how to live with unchangeable history while changing unhealthy coping behaviors.  One thing's for sure.  I never walk alone.  I have God, my family, my friends, my therapist and my doctors.  They will do what they can to help me through difficult times and equip me with positive coping skills so I don't have to be afraid or feel all alone.  They teach me how to pull up the strength I have inside so I can learn how to depend on myself in a healthy manner.  Faith calls this positive self-care.

"I am BRAVE"  You better believe it!  Survivors are most definitely brave.  I could list all the ways I was brave but I don't think it's necessary.  Bravery shows itself in the moment and when we are trying to put memories away in a lock box.  Bravery comes when we don't let the abuse from the past control or influence our present behaviors.  Bravery is when I can see a similar pattern of dysfunction and before falling back into that negative pattern, I say, "NO!"

On any given day, I am all of these.  Some days a little more confidently than others but still, there here.

"I was" because of my circumstances.

"I am" because of my choices.