About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Doctor's Appointment


So, you know how the conversation goes, right?

Concerned Person (CP) - "Have you thought about going to the doctor?"
Me - "Yes and I've decided not to."
CP - "Really.  Why not?"
Me - "I'm at the tail end of the cold and don't think I need to go."


Somehow the conversation switches gears.
I'm asked to tell CP why I think she suggested I go.
I sit and think.
Okay.

Me - "If I think of you in a good way, I'd say it's because you are concerned about how easily I get tired."
CP - "And if you weren't thinking about me in a good way?"
Me - "You work for XXX agency and you have to tell me to go to the doctor for legal reasons."
CP - "And if I said it would be a good way of self-care...."
Me - "Yeah, I knew you were going to say that.  But it's still my choice."
CP - "Yes, it is."

I've been sick for four weeks.  Now I have a lot of fatigue.  My nose is clear, my sinuses are clear, my stomach is back to normal, no fever, no headaches - just a big blow of tired when I exert myself.

So here's what I asked myself:  Are you satisfied with how you feel physically?
The answer is no.

Then I asked this question:  Are you willing to go see your doctor, whom you completely trust and have a very good relationship with?  The answer is yes.

I called the office and have an appointment for tomorrow.

For too many years, I did not put my health or physical well-being high enough on the "take care of me" ladder.  I abused my body through neglect and over use.

I'm learning that taking care of my body isn't just the outward appearance but also making sure all the pistons are firing in sync.  No one else can do that but me.

Making one right decision at a time will help move me toward the goal I want to achieve.
And with God's help, I hope to make more right decisions than wrong ones.